Main content start
Welcome to Luthy Group
Dick Luthy is the Silas H. Palmer Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Stanford University, and Fellow in the Woods Institute for the Environment. His area of teaching and research is environmental engineering and water quality. His research promotes new strategies for urban water systems to achieve more sustainable solutions - especially in regions experiencing chronic water shortages and vulnerabilities to cycles of very low precipitation like the American west and southwest. In related work, his research investigates cost-effective and natural approaches for sediment restoration.
- Spahr, Stephanie, Marc Teixido, James Pritchard, Nikolas Hagemann, Brigitte Helmreich, and Richard Luthy. “Performance of Biochars for the Elimination of Trace Organic Contaminants and Metals from Urban Stormwater”, ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE-WATER RESEARCH & TECHNOLOGY.
- Harris-Lovett, Sasha, and Richard Luthy. “Securing Urban Water Systems in a Changing Climate in the San Francisco Bay Area, California”. CRC Press, 2022. https://www.taylorfrancis.com/chapters/edit/10.1201/9781003048701-5/securing-urban-water-systems-changing-climate-san-francisco-bay-area-california-sasha-harris-lovett-richard-luthy.
- McLeod, Pamela, Junko Munakata-Marr, and Richard Luthy. “2020 BEST PIC II PAPER WINNER-Developing a Multi-Campus Model for REU Sites”. 2021 ASEE Virtual Annual Conference Content Access, July 2021. https://doi.org/10.18260/1-2--36542.
- Gile, Bridget, Paul Sciuto, Negin Ashoori, and Richard Luthy. “Integrated Water Management at the Peri-Urban Interface: A Case Study of Monterey, California”. Water, December 2020. https://doi.org/10.3390/w12123585.
- Luthy, Richard, Jordyn Wolfand, and Jonathan Bradshaw. “Urban Water Revolution: Sustainable Water Futures for California Cities”. Journal of Environmental Engineering, July 2020. https://doi.org/10.1061/%28ASCE%29EE.1943-7870.0001715.